Sunday, April 7, 2013

Hip Hop #9


#9
Ok so what can I say about this… to me the whole video seemed a little scattered like I couldn’t understand exactly what she was trying to say or the point she was trying to make. Yes I know she was talking about Hip Hop Wars and she mentions how gender and race are part of hip hop, this I agree. She then goes on to explain that everyone can in a way share hip hop as  a way of sharing popular culture, but even though we share this culture of hip hop we don’t share the same lived experiences.  This I also agree with because everyone can in a way share the same culture. What I mean by this is everyone can share like the same religion, food, music, style of clothing, etc. they can share all of this yet be from a different race and gender, but nobody can share the same lived experiences. This is where gender and race can differ in this so call hip hop war. Even twins don’t share the same lived experience no matter how similar they may look. So for each gender Male and Female their views on a topic is going to be different and its even more different with race.
She then goes on to talk about where Hip Hop started, it started on basketball courts, and how through the re-use of technology, how it changed the relationship of pre recorded sound. They used the baseline of other songs to build new songs, such as taking parts of one song and changing it a little to make it sound different . I have seen this over and over now that I am older, I have heard the start of a song and my first thought is “hey I know this song”, based on the beginning beat, then the song starts playing and im like what is this I don’t know this song. This is what I have seen for myself with using other songs as a baseline.. or even Jay Z ill use him as an example he changed the little Annie song and made it his own the “Hard Knock Life”. This is the idea of sampling that Rose talks about. It all started off from these people going to vocational schools instead of schools for higher learning. This is because they was only going to school to learn how to work out in the real l ife, jobs such as pluming or being an electrician  They became good at what they was doing that they built their own equipment and knew how to work everything the way they wanted to just from learning to work at a dead end job, they made something out of nothing, they was

creative.


Questions?
-->Is Hip Hop really on the verge of dying? (there are always going to be people making mix tapes and everything in the so called Underground)
-->Does a rapper or singer have to like quote and source things when they take other peoples songs? (like when they steal their same beat, or like Jay-Z and Annie,,,, How does all that work)


4 comments:

  1. Craig great argumment, I like when you said everyone share differentlived experiences and how we view the popular culture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your question "is hip-hop really on the verge of dying?". I think it is a question that can be answered in so so many different ways. I agree with you that there are ALWAYS going to be people making mixes and keeping the Underground alive. I'm interested to see if we talk about this in class how/what other people think.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yes, in most cases there are copyrights and royalties that need to be observed and usually are. I'm not completely sure how it all works but when an album is completed, there's a sort of bibliography of thanks in the back of the album that thanks and appreciates everyone who helped participate in the making of the song. Like I said, I don't know how it works technically, but anyone who makes money off of anyone else's sounds has to give some credit where it is due and how it is due.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Jacki, people are not singing for the love of singing people are singing for the money "american idol"

    ReplyDelete